STEP 1 – Download Zoom App
(if you have not done this already)
Before joining a Zoom meeting on a computer or mobile device, you can download the Zoom app from https://zoom.us/download. This link will take you to “Zoom client For Meetings” – click on DOWNLOAD to open app. This is Not a Zoom account and you do not need a Zoom account to join a meeting.
You are now set to begin.
STEP 2 – Joining a Meeting
The day of a program, you will receive an email.
Here is an Example of what the link will look like. (Please do not try to enter this meeting)
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 954 0607 1633
To join a meeting, simply click on the Join Zoom meeting link and follow the prompts. We suggest that you sign in a few minutes early to address any problems that might arise.
For most of you:
- This will take you to the meeting access point – a square box in the middle of your screen
- Inside the blue box it will say – Zoom Meeting
- To launch into the meeting – click on OPEN LINK at bottom of square
- See yourself on screen- click on the blue box – Join With Video below your image
- The next screen – Click on blue box – Join With Computer Audio
- At top right of screen click on Enter Full Screen
- YOU ARE IN and we are glad to see you!!
Step 3 – Overview – When You Have Joined A Zoom Meeting
When you join a Zoom meeting hosted by another user, you are considered an Attendee.
When on a PC, the attendee controls appear at the bottom of your screen. When using a MAC, the attendee controls appear at the top of the screen
Attendees have access to these features: from left to right
To see the tool bar click on the screen
- Mute / Unmute: Mute and unmute your microphone – click on this icon to unmute to talk, mute to silence your microphone. This is what you need to know.
- Start Video / Stop Video: Turns your camera on or off – this means that if you want, you can turn off video if you do not want others to see you, however you will still be see the program.
- Participants: See who’s currently in the meeting. Click on icon and a list of participants will appear on the right side of the screen.
- Share Screen: You will not need this to participate in a Zoom meeting.
- Chat: Access the chat window to submit questions of the speaker. Click on chat icon. Chat will open at the right of the screen. Go to bottom and see – type message – write your message (ie hello everyone) and hit the enter button on your computer.
- Record: Attendees do not have access to this function
- Leave: You can leave the meeting at any time even while it continues for the other participants. To do so, click on LEAVE and follow prompts. Only the host can end the meeting.
One more important feature
At the top right of your screen, you will see the words – Gallery View or Speaker View
- Gallery view – your screen will be filled with the participants at the meeting
- Speaker view – your screen will be filled by the person who is presenting
Click on this icon to shift from one view to another
- Zoom is a new skill for most of us so we need to be patient as we learn to use this platform.
- Since we all learn differently, below are several additional ways of becoming familiar with Zoom.
- We suggest that you try more than one resource for learning.
- If you want to practice with friends, you can sign up for a free Zoom account at https://zoom.us/pricing
Jonathan’s Zoom Help Session
- youtube to help you get started – I found it helpful to listen more than once.
- Zoom has excellent learning and support, including videos