“Only a genealogist regards a step backwards as progress”
“My uncle was born in Austria, married in Poland, and
died in Russia—without ever leaving town!”
The Jewish Genealogical Society of Greater Boston is offering its award-winning, intensive introductory course on Jewish Genealogy for the 6th year starting February 3, 2014. The course is designed to provide serious adult students with the skills and knowledge to research their Jewish family origins. It is taught at Hebrew College in Newton with the title, “Foundations of Jewish Genealogical Research.”
The course includes relevant world history and geography, research methodology and strategies, and guidance in using world-wide resources and online sites. It is taught by experts from the Jewish Genealogical Society of Greater Boston.
- Methodology: Basic Principles, Strategies and Skills
- Technical Tools and Online Resources for Genealogy
- History of Jewish Migration, the Diaspora, and Changing National Borders
- Identifying Your Immigrant Ancestors: Methods and Resources for Researching Family Members in the U.S.
- Using Social Networking Tools
- Finding Your Ancestors in European Records and Learning about Their Lives
- Using the Family History Library (Mormon Archive)
- Identifying Holocaust Victims and Survivors
- Finding Family Members Living in Israel
- Using your Research and Publishing Your Findings
There are individual help sessions for all students and a hands-on introduction to Internet research for beginners. Students must have basic computer skills.
Dates & Times: The course is taught on 8 consecutive Monday evenings from February 3 to March 31, 2014, except Presidents Day, February 17. It will run from 7 to 9:30 pm on February 3 & February 10, and from 7 to 9 pm February 24 thru March 31.
Website: The course website will carry lecture materials (audio recordings and PowerPoint slides) for those who miss a class and as a resource for all students.
Enroll here: secure.hebrewcollege.edu/form/foundations-jewish-genealogical-research.
Tuition is $250 payable to Hebrew College. Enrollment is limited to 24 students. Sign up early – the class has filled every year it’s been offered.
or 866-611-5698 and leave a message with your contact information.
The course is co-sponsored by the Jewish Genealogical Society of Greater Boston and Hebrew College. In 2009, it received the Outstanding Program Award from the International Association of Jewish Genealogical Societies at the 29th International Conference on Jewish Genealogy.